5 Crucial SEO Mistakes & How to Fix Them
Deciphering Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the preeminent marketing discipline, especially in today’s ever-changing plugged-in world. If you want visitors coming to your website and engaging with the content to make sales then you have to stay up to the second with knowledge on the capricious search engine algorithms. Of course, in attempting to keep up with SEO requirements, businesses make some integral mistakes that cause more damage instead of improving their search engine rankings.
Therefore Social TinaMarie scoured the internet to find the top 5 mistakes with SEO and how to avoid and/or fix them.
1. Overlooking Page Titles And Meta Descriptions
Most website are made with CMS-Content Management Systems like WordPress, which allow users to easily change the Page Titles and Meta Descriptions. However most small business owners who use CMS do not change them or keep them generic like ‘Services’ instead of using their trade ‘Virtual Secretary’. The importance of Page Titles and Meta Descriptions to SEO are simple it allows search engines to properly identify what is on your web page and then properly index it according to the keywords. This affects your page ranking by because the more generic the lower it will be index the more unique the better your ranking.
How to fix:
- Keep titles less than 70 characters and include your site name at the beginning or end of each page title, separated from the rest of the page descriptive title with a delimiter such as a hyphen or colon.
- Meta Descriptions should be 160 characters and unique for each page. Think of meta descriptions as short sales pitches they do not need to be complete sentences and can include keywords, dates, and short topic.
2. Overlooking or Overdoing On-Site SEO
Well what is On-Site SEO…. On-site SEO is the practice of optimizing elements on a website (as opposed to links elsewhere on the Internet and other external signals collectively known as “off-site SEO“) in order to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic from search engines. On-Site SEO use to be about keywords, keywords, and more keywords on your web page to get a higher rank. Well not anymore search engines are to smart for that trick and simply overlooking optimizing your web page will not help your ranking either..
So what do you do….
- Search engines are developed to be more sophisticated nowadays so playing old tricks like the keyword stuffing will not work, what the search engines are scanning your web pages for are significant content. Be real in your description of what you offer in services and products and try not to stuff in all your keywords inorganically. On the other end of the spectrum do not forget to provide healthy content for each web page it will improve your ranking!
3. Forgetting to Run a Website Audit
Website audits are important because they tell you if user can easily navigate and enjoy your website. If your website does not load quickly or it is difficult to find or use then you will loose visitors and your ranking will decrease on search engines.
How do you complete an audit?
- There are many websites that you can use to complete an audit but my favorite is https://www.seoptimer.com/ as it gives you an in-depth look at your websites performance. SEOPTIMER also provides you with detailed informaiton of your website problems and how to’s to get your website up to grade!
4. Keeping up with High-Quality Content
Content is key when it comes to SEO the better the content and regularity of the high quality content the higher your ranking! Some businesses feel a blog on their website does not make sense for what they do while others do not have the time to maintain.
So to blog or not to blog?
- Always blog, at least once a week, and every industry can blog. Providing a high quality blog is the best way to improve your SEO in a short time and drive up the number of site visitors to your website. If you do not have the time or skill to think up and create good content blog posts then definitely look into a content writer to do it for you it will be the best return on our investment! Social TinaMarie provides blogging services in their SMM (Social Media Management) plans automatically! Check them out here!
5. Treating SEO As A One-Time Task
This is the biggest mistakes for business owners as SEO is ever changing your SEO plan needs to as well. Treating SEO as a “set it and forget it” tactic will not provide any results because having a sound SEO base will not
achieve perpetual SEO-friendliness as SEO is a capricious tool trying to adapt to the capricious nature of search engine algorithms.
How do you keep up with SEO?
- As a small business you should regularly develop the comprehensiveness of your websites to integrate appropriate content about their products and services, while leveraging user feedback. This is the long run will grow your SEO plan and improve your ranking. Also develop a SEO plan and check on it at least monthly to see what is working and what is failing. You can use google analytic tools to track your results.
SEO in general is difficult for even the most experienced marketers, so if you are finding this duty to difficult to keep up with and receive results with then please reach out to an expert today. Here at Social TinaMarie we integrate SEO tactics in our SMM plans and Website Development in order to get our clients more visitors and customers!